Though not popular I have got to admit that some of what you say is
actually fairly interesting to think about, Gus.
Of course, I also find watching and reading speeches given by Hitler
very interesting and educational, but I'm no fan of his.
Not that I'm comparing you to Hitler, of course.

To your point:
the wealth effect, to a degree, is happening in the first world today
(though we're beginning to wise up).
the incentive, today, is ALWAYS there to find more (financially)
efficient means of production - capitalism and competition amongst
ourselves (in the first world at least) drives this today.
the idea that a "significant" number of 1st world workers and their
children, don't feel the need to work hard is preposterous.  90% of the
wealth is controlled by 1% of the population.  What percentage
constitutes "significant"?  Certainly much more than one percent, right?
You assert that people (or their "kids" anyways) are more inclined to
not work hard when there are "plenty of jobs".  Has there ever been a
proven direct correlation between how hard people work and the number of
available jobs in the job market?  Not that I know of (but I'm not
saying there hasn't been).  If there are plenty of jobs, and you work
significantly less than hard, you still get fired.  Get fired enough
times and the fact that there are plenty of jobs just means there are
plenty of opportunities that you could take advantage of if it weren't
for the fact that NOBODY will hire you if you're a crap worker.
Continuing with your points:

"3rd World workers, seeing the relative wealth they lack and the path to
get it (free trade!), get hungry and try to grab the brass ring"?  I'm
sorry Gruss - but that really is just plain dumb.  When you're from the
third world, pretty much everything else IS a brass ring... and hell
yeah, you're going to go for it... whether the path makes sense or not.
It's called survival.... lots of people in the third world go through it
on a daily basis.

I don't mean to rag on you, and I generally stay way the hell out of
sensitive discussions (politics, religion, race, CF best practices,
etc.) but just had to chime in on this one for fun.  When you didn't
stay quiet after your "people near the equator are more likely to be
poor" comment (which is absurd in and of itself), you just made it far
too easy.

~Simon

Simon Horwith
Adobe Community Expert