If it looked like "just another star", you most likely were not looking at
the right thing. The comet does not resemble a star in any way, because
there is no singular point of light. It looks more like a spotlight has been
permanently left on and is reflecting off of a cloud. When you see it, it is
instantly obvious that it's not a star.

I'd definitely recommend the binoculars.