I have just got it working with the other system but I do like the animation
on yours, sweet!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Davis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 20 November 2007 22:22
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Drag and Drop like iGoogle

I think I have it.  The new component is up here:

http://www.depressedpress.com/Content/Development/JavaScript/Extensions/DP_P
anelManager

Look at the "Drag and Drop with Ordering Example" (this example is
horizontal, but the same thing can be done vertically).

Again this library doesn't DO this but it does make it MUCH easier to do
this.  The script for the example is less than 80 lines long and a lot of
that is example-only material (random number generator, panel creation,
etc).

The drag and drop (which is locked to the column) is pretty simple.  The
lines that actually do the reordering are 93-100:

  93          // Get the Order of the panels
  94       var PanelList = PanelManager.getPanelList("left");
  95          // Loop over the List
  96       var CurLPos = PanelLPos;
  97       for ( var Cnt=0; Cnt < PanelList.length; Cnt++ ) {
  98          PanelList[Cnt].setPosition([PanelTPos, CurLPos], 0, 200);
  99          CurLPos = CurLPos + PanelList[Cnt].getSize()[1] + PanelMargin;
 100       };

The PanelManager gives us our ordered list of panels (ordered by the "left"
property - from left to right).

We then set our first position ("CurLPos") and enter a loop over the list of
ordered panels.

Each panel is set (with a simple animation) to that current position and
then the position for the next panel is calculated by adding the width of
the current panel and a margin value.

It took me about a couple hours to add the sorting method to the
PanelManager (most of it was testing) but then only about an hour total to
implement the drag and drop sort.

I'm pretty damned pleased with it.

Jim Davis