On Nov 30, 2007 12:42 PM, Bruce H. Sorge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> While I might find that offensive - probably not though -I am not going
> to put someone in jail, threaten them with 40 lashes, and whatever else
> punishment she might have been subject to, and I surely am not going to
> lead a rally to execute her.

Just bear in mind that Christians ran rampage across the world
killing, raping and burning anyone who didn't believe in their book,
back in the day. Burning people at the stake - a slow death - so they
had time to repent and "come to Jesus". How cruel and barbaric.

Also bear in mind that it hasn't been that many years since America
was segregated by the color of your skin - BY LAW - and white folks
were running round hanging black folks and burning their houses.
Something that was considered abhorrent by many other parts of the
world.

Sudan's law is very clear about the use of the name Mohammad. She
broke their law. Some folks ran around demanding the death penalty.
Really not so different from lynching mobs in response to violation of
the American segregation laws.

You just need some historical and cultural perspective on these events.

And, yes, I do rather enjoy playing devil's advocate in these sorts of
situations...
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

-- Margaret Atwood