There is not a law that says anything about the use of the name (from
everything I can read and find). It says there can be no disrespect of
the Prophet. And according to even their law, intent is supposed to be
required.

The law is basically whatever the religious court "thinks" it is.

And unfortunately, religious courts tend to lean more towards the
fanatic than the reasonable. Which is the inherant problem with mixing
religion and government and law. (Not faith mind you, but religion)

And no, I needn't keep in mind cultural and historic perspective. Or
only enough to know that even when we do it, it is wrong. The world
has changed. We are moving forward, mostly to a better kinder world.
The wrongs you mentioned are for the most part in the past, even if
the recent past. And when then crop up today, they are recognized by
most people as wrong, and there is an attempt to prevent them from
happening again. There is much less acceptance of this sort of thing
in today's world. As for the lynching example, even those racist jerks
had to do their work "outside the law". The lynchings were not
codified in law or even allowed, they were extra-legal. Once such
things _become_ the law, things get very, very scary.

I think they are wrong. The law is wrong in the first place. The
application of the law was wrong in the second place. And the verdict
given the facts was wrong in the third place. The majority of the
world thinks they are wrong. Even most Muslims I have asked here in
the US think they are wrong. I think they are intolerant. I think they
are cruel and repressive and basically mean. And I think they are
actually disrespecting their religion more than the teacher was.

Sadly, I am thinking more and more that the world is heading towards a
clash between those  (of many religions) that want to return the world
back 1000 years to a time of intolerance and pain, and those who want
to move the world forward into a better, kinder place.

BTW, thank you for playing devil's advocate, and making me think
through my attitudes on this. I think my gut level distaste for this
story is the religious intolerance and attempt to force religious
values on people of other religions. And secondly my dislike for
giving my hard earned (well, earned anyway) money to people like these
to keep doing what they are doing.

Just to establish my anti-establishment creds, I spent the entire year
of 5th grade in the principal's office, rather than in home room,
before school. First for wearing a baseball hat indoors (it was
against the rules for boys, but girls on the same baseball team could
wear their hats. Which was patently wrong). Then for not saying "under
God" during the Pledge (which the Supreme Court of the US that year
had ruled I didn't have to say)

Sadly, that still makes me happy.