From: Sean Corfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 10:45 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: Christian's: Paranoid or not

On Dec 6, 2007 7:05 AM, Jerry Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If the parents are Christians, I am pretty sure they want their kids
to have
> faith that Jesus is the Son of God and their savior.  That whole deal
of
> spending eternity in Hell instead of Heaven and all.

Or, put another way, if the parents are religious - of any persuasion
- they will usually try to indoctrinate their children into the same
religion.

I was lucky that my father stood up to my mother's side of the family
and allowed me to make up my own mind instead of forcing me to go to
Sunday School etc. My wife, from a deeply Christian family, was made
to go to Sunday School but decided it wasn't for her after two visits
because "they're treating me like a child!", something my wife never
liked as a child (if you ever meet her, ask her about Sunday School
and the bar of soap).

When I was at primary school (that's age 7-10 in England), I remember
some of the boys being absolutely terrified by the "threat" of divine
punishment. Their parents had indoctrinated them to believe that bad
behavior would lead to an eternity of burning and torture. They were
pretty traumatized by this. Poor kids. They'd been convinced that all
bibles were sacred books and if you did anything negative to one you'd
be struck down from on high. I showed them that wasn't true - yes,
aged 7 I spat on a bible to show them that, no, God will *not* strike
you down with a lightning bolt. I was just trying to get them to
*think* about what they were being told and not be so frightened about
everything. I doubt their parents realized just what they'd done to
their kids - I'm sure the parents thought they were doing the "right
thing" based on their faith. But of course, the parents were
*thinking* either because that's not what faith is about... it's about
belief, instead of thinking.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

-- Margaret Atwood