Of course they're intentional - the author's made no secret of that.

The rhetoric they use to "warn" parents about this movie is insulting.  You
can replace the word "atheist" with "baby-eating-puppy-crushing-pedophile"
and the tone would be perfect.

That's the real problem: when good Christians (like C.S. Lewis) write good
Christian books that reflect good Christian values it's great - it's a
heartwarming story for the whole family.

But when good atheists (like Pullman) write good atheist stories that
reflect good atheist values it's evil and corrupting and the children need
to be protected.

To me it's only an interesting side issue that they feel their faith is so
fragile that merely witnessing a story with atheistic themes is a danger.  I
mean let my kids read and watch bible stories: I've taught them well enough
that I don't worry about them falling into the distasteful lifestyle
depicted.

The main issue that they're blatantly declaring that children need to be
protected - SAVED - from people like me and my children.

Christ-on-a-crutch: if I picketed "The Nativity Story" I'd be called a
hate-mongering, politically incorrect malcontent.  But when they do it it's
all about how that poor, beset minority is only trying to maintain the
barest of toeholds on their disappearing way of life.

Fuckers.

Jim Davis