One big reason is that managers feel that you are not working if they
can't see it. They feel that they have to be hands on, available for
random meetings and what not.

Where I work now, I only live five miles away, yet my boss will NOT let
anyone work from home. No particular reason other than he likes to have
warm bodies here.

My mom is 100% telecommute for her company. Her boss' boss loves it. She
is only one of two who get to do this. She has proven over and over that
she is far more productive between the hours of 6-3:30 than all of the
other people in the office (I have seen her performance reviews from her
old boss), yet her new boss is trying everything she can to either get
her back int the office or fired. Fortunately her boss' boss is on to
her and keeps her in check on this subject. The two telecommuters and
the boss's have all managed to dodge three weeks of layoffs in their
department. All of the layoffs were in-office workers.

My argument has always been that our work is measurable. You tell your
boss that you will have the user administrator interface done in two
days, and it is not, well then you probably are not working, but if it
is done on time or early, then it is obvious that you are working.

Now there is the other side of it. Not everyone can telecommute. I am
not sure if there is some sort of test available to see if you are the
telecommuting type, but my guess is that a boss does not want to take a
chance of letting someone work from home, then that person falls flat on
their face, and the manager looks like they made a bad decision.

Bruce

Scott Stewart wrote:
I'm coming off of a telecommuting contract at the end of December, so I'm
looking for new contracts/jobs.

Why are there so few companies that will entertain the idea of
telecommuting? There's not a lot of opportunities in Raleigh, but everyone
wants me to relocate

...grrrrr...