On Dec 17, 2007 11:11 AM, Casey Dougall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 12/17/07, Ben Doom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Eclipse runs much faster under Linux in my limited experience.
>
> How is Linux with reading off of NTFS formated partitions? What's my best
> route here for getting the most out of a 160 gig drive?

This is what I was going to do, but I never ended up finishing:

VMWare (and most other flavors) have utilities for converting existing hard
drives into VMWare images.  Pretty slick, right?

So, what I was going to do, was install Ubuntu (I like Mint, personally) and
then move my music and whatnot (good chunk of disk space) from the XP
side, and then convert the resulting tiny-er XP drive to a VMWare image.

Thus, I'd still have my old XP system, with MSSQLEXPRESS and whatnot
all good to go.  My bud did this on a Mac -- he's got his old XP desktop on
there now too!

I never finished- turned out it was easy to convert the stuff that had been
MS specific to mysql or postgresql, and for browsing sites, I've got an
XP machine that suffices.

I still have that XP drive, and I may create an image someday, but I'm
already getting low on diskspace with my new drive! Course, I waited
like a year to install it, so they're much bigger now... doh...

GIMP works well-- haven't needed anything else.  Plus, the photo library
management stuff for Linux is pretty impressive... I'm amazed at the
level and quality of a lot of this software.  I shouldn't be, but I am.

Really impressive.  I'm impressed.  Yup.  Color me WOWed.

--
I believe our longing for an innate harmony runs deeper than our
longing for righteousness.