Definitely not the same thing.

"Painter" is kind of neat in its own right, but it's a consumer-level
natural media tool.  Lots of real-world metaphor and (as you said) hand
holding.

The "CorelDraw!" suite is a professional Vector and Bitmap suite.  The
Vector package (Draw!, now in its 13th release) is definitely the stronger
of the two (I think it handily beats the competition) while the bitmap
package (Photo-Paint!) was added to the suite later (in version 5 I believe)
and definitely has weaknesses compared to Photo-Shop.

Although the two are generally feature compatible Photo-Paint is known for
precision issues when it comes to masks and knockouts and certain
alpha-channel manipulations.  I think for the vast majority of people it
still does everything (and more) but in a one-to-one, cost-forgiven
comparison I think PS would definitely win out.

When taking the whole suite into consideration, and the value provided I
think the two are much more comparable however with Corel having an edge
(especially in the value department).

> The article I had read that made me try it was in nov 07 issue of
> shutterbug, if anyone cares.
>
> I also didn't realize that the others can use ps plugins, that is
> pretty cool. I don't think I will try them though since I am comfy with
> ps.

Yeah - to ensure that the plug-in architecture really took off Adobe really
had no choice but to publish the specs pretty freely - that opened the door
for anybody to adopt the hooks.  Really all a plug-in consists off is a a
linked program that accepts an image as input, presents its own interface to
manipulate it then returns an image to the calling application - their
actually really easy to integrate into other software.

If you're good with PS I doubt there's any reason to consider switching -
there's nothing so compelling that would make it worth the effort.  But if
you're new to this stuff (or can't afford PS) I can't recommend CorelDraw!
enough.

> I think I may have been confused to on compatibility because my
> copyright attorney used to send me all these files in corel writer or
> something and I remember what a pita it was to view them without buying
> their program.

I'm not sure... there are a lot of Corel programs and extensions. If it ever
happens again most of the packages have fully-functional trail editions
which you can use to deal with/convert the formats.

Corel products are definitely better about using other formats than other
products are about using Corel formats.  I've never had a problem using PSD
or AI files as source material when working in mixed groups for example.

Jim Davis