Not at all... the file view just gives you a directory tree of your local
machine and any FTP sites you have.  Almost exactly like HomeSite's file
view if you remember it.

The synch view (that's completely separate from the file view) MIGHT upload
all files but that may be a problem with determining which files have
changed (the purpose of the view is to easily keep dev and prod in synch).

> "In what sense?"
> "I'll admit that it's easy enough for a mom but what capabilities does
> it lack that a "pro tool" would have?  I'm curious because I'm a
> sometimes beta tester for the suite and this is the kind of question
> that gets asked. "
>
> To me it is kinda like dw compared to eclipse, it has some nice
> features but there is too much "hand holding" in it for me and what I
> really noticed was that if you didn't use their pre-made stuff it would
> become fairly difficult to use. Too me it was just more efficient to do
> it in ps. I think that ps just has more control over what you are doing
> but that is only good if you know what you are doing or are willing to
> learn. I used to like fw over ps until i really started to learn ps and
> then i saw why it is used, although fw still does save files better. I
> would like to have liked it as it is a lot cheaper but I didn't.

Of course it would be more efficient to "do it in PS" if that's what you
know - user inertia isn't something that's overcome likely.  ;^)  I'd also
go so far as to say that a fluent PS/AI user probably won't find anything
worth making the switch (unless they can't afford the cost) - but by the
same token I can't see anything in PS/AI that would draw a fluent Corel user
away either.

In my experience I greatly prefer Corel... but both packages seem just as
capable.

As to the criticism I honestly have no idea what you're talking about... are
you sure we're talking about the same program?  I'm talking about the
CorelDraw Suite (CorelDraw and CorelPhoto-Paint) - not Painter or Paint Shop
Pro (also Corel products - both of which are aimed much more at the general
consumer).

I don't know what "pre-made stuff" you're talking about?  Although the
program comes with tons of templates and clipart and such it's not really
integrated into the application itself (they're just source files - there if
you need them but not required) - there aren't any internal design galleries
or the like.

Draw! Does offer more primitive shapes than many tools: in addition to
rectangles and ovals there's general polygons, stars, spirals, grids, etc
There's also a really nice "three point" tool for ellipses and rectangles
(which lets you place boundary points for the objects before sizing them)...
but none of these force anything on your design and all of them can be
ignored (the tools are all there do it the hard way if you like).

"Hand-holding" in what way?  Most tools are interactive (drag and drop) or
palette based.  There are very few wizards or other directed tasks (although
there is interactive help for most tasks).

There are definitely some shortcut tools - extrude, envelope, lens,
powerclip, etc - but nothing that I can think of as "pre-made" - and nothing
that I would want to lose.

Do you have an example or two?  I just don't feel like we're talking about
the same thing.

> My niece was over yesterday and she was asking me to buy her ps and i
> told her to try gimp or find an alternative but really they can't use
> anything else because that is what they are learning on. And then there
> are the filters and add-ons that corel can't compare with, not to
> mention I deal with a good chunk of my clients who send me psd & ai
> files to work with, I can't really have them change what they do to fit
> my needs.

Actually, for what it's worth, both CorelDraw and Corel Photo-Paint are
fully compatible with all PhotoShop Plug-in Filters (and many of the more
popular filter packages like Kai's are Corel Products).  I use many of them
myself.  In fact you don't even need to reinstall them - you can just point
Corel at  the PhotoShop filter directory and it will happily pick them up
(you can scan as many folders as you like for plug-ins).

Of course this isn't that big a trick: even Paint Shop Pro is compatible
with PS plug-ins.

Corel works seamlessly with AI and PSD files - both importing and exporting
- believe me, my clients send me them as well.  ;^)  In the over ten years
I've worked with CorelDraw (I started with version 2; it's up to version 13)
I've never had a problem working closely with people using PhotoShop or
Illustrator.

Corel also exports to PDF, Flash and HTML (producing reasonable client-side
script for any image maps or roll-over animations you may have defined).
You can also edit and create QuickTime VR files.  In total something like
200 file formats are supported natively.

Like I said... I just don't feel like we're talking about the same product
here.

Jim Davis