On 1/23/08, Ian Skinner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As with most people, I could use a little extra each month and I have
> been getting some lukewarm feelers for some after hours, moonlighting
> contract work.  I have a question for those of you who do this kind of
> thing day in and day out.

I have trouble, personally, balancing my desire for extra money with
my dislike of doing any work after 5pm :)

> Is it fair and reasonable to ask for some part of the payment up front?

Of course.  It's also fair and reasonable for a potential client to
say "hell no".  If you're just an individual person, you'll probably
find that not a whole lot of people are going to be willing to pay
anything up front - especially if they've never worked with you
before.  Too many people get screwed that way, and nobody really wants
to go to court to $500 back, they'd rather not give you the $500
unless they're satisfied enough to give you the whole $1000.

You can aim for a deposit, but it'll be entirely up to you if they
don't want to pay the deposit - do you take the job or not?  Under
what circumstances is the deposit refundable?

But in the end, it comes down to whether or not the client wants your
services enough to pay you a deposit for those services.

Back when I worked for www.sitesandsounds.com (mid 90s) we always took
50% down, and people were willing to do it for the most part.

Rick

--
Rick Root
New Brian Vander Ark Album, songs in the music player and cool behind