The number of people that would miss out because of that seems like it would
be small to me.  I believe there are systems in place to deal with this kind
of thing regardless - absentee ballots are allowed after the election for
some grace period I think and there are other recourses already in place.

My main concern would be that with so few people voting fraud is both easier
(since you can often forge votes for absentee voters) and more dangerous
(even a small effort can have a large impact).

I'm not sure if photo ID is the right answer, but some answer should be
found - perhaps a dedicated photo ID just for voting.  There might be grace
periods or late displays or whatever, but some proof of ID and registration
seem reasonable to me.

Jim Davis