http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell

'Hydrogen combustion, like that of petroleum, is limited by the Carnot
efficiency <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exergy_efficiency>, but is
completely different from the hydrogen fuel cell's chemical conversion
process of hydrogen to electricity and water without combustion. Hydrogen
fuel cells emit only water during use, while producing carbon dioxide
emissions during the majority of hydrogen production, which comes from
natural gas. Direct methane <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane> or natural
gas <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas> conversion (whether IC or FC)
also generate carbon dioxide emissions, but direct hydrocarbon conversion in
high-temperature fuel cells produces lower carbon dioxide emissions than
either combustion of the same fuel (due to the higher efficiency of the fuel
cell process compared to combustion), and also lower carbon dioxide
emissions than hydrogen fuel cells, which use methane less efficiently than
high-temperature fuel cells by first converting it to high-purity hydrogen
by steam reforming. Although hydrogen can also be produced by electrolysis
of water using renewable energy, at present less than 3% of hydrogen is
produced in this way.'

What I take from this is that hydrogen fuel cells product CO2 during the
extraction of hydrogen from natural gas, but product water during chemical
conversion of the hydrogen to electricity. Sounds like this isn't even close
to being commercially viable right now.