Graph on Network file copy speed differences between Vista SP1 and the
Original Vista RTM:

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/12/file_transfer_whs_to_vista.jpg

Graph of various file operations of Vista SP1 vs Vista RTM

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/images/sp1_performance_boost_1c.jpg

Graph of various file operations of Vista SP1 vs XP SP2

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1332&page=5

Conclusion - XP SP2 faster overall.

Since the majority of work that is done on a computer involves file
reading, writing, moving etc. XP SP2 will on average feel faster than
Vista in normal day to day operation.

Here is some of what Microsoft indicated would be fixed with Vista SP1:

# Service Pack 1 should improve the speed of copying and moving
folders with lots of files and subfolders within them. Furthermore,
it's said to improve performance over by as much as 25% when copying
files locally on a single disk PC.

# The service pack should allow Vista to do a much better job with the
copy progress "time remaining" estimate.

# SP1 should improve "overall media performance by reducing many
glitches," according to Microsoft.

# By including the SLI hotfix, SP1 should allow games to scale better
to SLI configurations when compared with single-card configurations.

So that tells you what was *not* working as well as it could with
Vista. Note the mention of SLI Graphics scaling.

For me, there's just no reason to switch to Vista SP1 or otherwise at
the moment. XP just feels faster and smoother than Vista, and the file
copy issue is very very noticeable to me. Especially when installing
games, or loading game levels.

For business use, I guess someone wouldn't give two hoots. And
certainly if one was not accustomed to XP they would simply accept
Vista performance as the norm.