You know, I think that ppl should just have to pay on their own for trash
services.  When I first moved here, I was appalled that I had to pay for
what used to be a municipal service.  Then I started having to worry about
putting large items by the curb, stuff that wouldn't fit in the barrel,
etc.  I have never had an issue with the trash ppl being sloppy or refusing
to pick up anything.  The trash business is pretty competitive, and they'll
do just about anything to retain a customer.  Worth the cost, IMO.  It's not
really that expensive, and it's less pork for the local city budget.