My experience has been vastly different than yours.  My laptop was also
"made for Vista", has more RAM than it needs (4 gigs), and can still hardly
run a full dev environment including Eclipse(CF+FlexBuilder), CF8, and SQL
Server + various misc programs.  XP does this without any problem.

An OS that's so bloated it's not usable is a steaming pile.  But that's just
my opinion.

-Cameron