The thread on how you got into computers made me think about how I got into
ColdFusion as well, since for me, they were very much tied together. Anyone
else remember their first CF (or perl, or whatever you started with) web
application?

I started doing web pages back when we got excited at being able to change the
background color of the page from grey to white. ;-) The dog sport I competed
in (agility) was very new at the time and I realized quickly that the internet
could be a great way to share information. I was collecting training articles,
links to any other site people did, etc. and it rapidly become the "place" for
information on the sport. We had a lot of different clubs putting on shows and
starting to give classes, but finding information on these was often difficult
and I was getting frustrated at missing shows just due to not knowing about
them. So I put up a page on my site where people could email me their event or
class listing and I'd add it to the page. It quickly became so much work to
keep updated that I took on several volunteers, one for each of the listings to
help me with it.

About the same time I had gotten a copy of Homesite by Allaire and was an avid
user. In browsing their support forums, I kept seeing mention of this
"ColdFusion". I'd had my run-ins with Perl and was currently working on my CS
degree so really quickly figured out that what CF offered was exactly what I
needed, and had HUGE potential for the future. I re-wrote those pages so no
longer did I have manually update them and it was just an epiphany for me, how
easy and quick it was to build something like that. The rest, as they say, is
history. But the cool thing is, those very first applications I wrote are still
online and still serving the agility community, although now run by someone
else. Of course, I shudder to think of how that code looks, as like most
newbies my early code was not particularly clean or well done, but as far as I
know, they really haven't modified it much over the years. So kind of neat that
it's still out there churning away.

Any other cool stories to share?

--- Mary Jo