1999

I'd started doing static websites while I was in the Army as side money.
    I started playing with CFExpress, but then ended up getting deployed
to the Sinai.

While there I set up a very basic web site for my company to use to send
newsletters and pics back to the family.  Static, had to do everything
by hand, over ftp, from Egypt, as I'm sure you can imagine the
connections weren't the best.

So the red sea is a scuba divers heaven.  My company commander and First
Sergeant made a dope deal with some of the dive schools. I'd set them up
some sites, they gave the company's soldiers breaks on diving
instruction, PADI certification, wreck and cave dives.  Of course this
being the Army I wasn't consulted, and it fell under what we call
"Additional Duties".  To be honest though I was glad to do it, I got 24
hour direct access to the satellite connection :)

Found a host, wrote one site with a basic access back end and just
copied it across the several sites.  I was hooked.

After that I got out of the Army, went to Schoollink in Fayetteville,
and met all you crazy people.