I had my wife all set for us to get 3g iPhones.  When I started
telling people of my marital victory a couple people with iPhones told
me about their reception they get and some of the problems with the
network.

So, after a bunch of research, I decided to stay with Verizon since my
top use for a phone is as a phone and they have the best network.  I
figured if I REALLY find out I need the functionality I can buy the
iPod Touch.

In the meantime I just got the Dare (decided I didn't need the
functionality of the Diamond or The Thunder so no sense waiting).

I really like it.  I'm coming from a 6800 "smart" phone that ran
windows 5.0.  So far The Dare does everything I want of it and more.
It's great to make calls, the interface is intuitive and easy, and I
have no problems with the touch screen.  Plus it has a 3.2 megapixel
camera and is about the best phone camera I've ever used.  It's even
got the 2 touch shutter button w/ auto focus, flash, and configurable
settings.

Anyway, if you're looking for a Verizon phone that comes closer to the
iPhone, get The Dare!