I built a RAID file server that runs Ubuntu, it was easy. Probably
even easier in Windows, but for the license fee.

If you buy one of the storage appliances, the one everyone that I have
talked with seems to like is the ReadyNAS NV+.  You'll pay about $900
for one with no disks (it has 4 bays), so it's a bit pricier than a
DIY solution, but it is very small and quiet and apparently very nice.

I would be careful of the low-cost solutions. I tried a couple of them
and they were Windows only and required special software- no thanks!