Well... searching for "DepressPress" brings up a link to my site accompanied
by an image of a sign which reads "Welcome to Palisades Interstate Parkway"
that I've never seen.  So, fail on that count at least.

> if you really think they will be a challenge anytime this decade ...
> you
> might want to reconsider :)

I'm not sure... I remember when Google first started out.  They weren't
exactly the most stable, sensible choice on the market immediately.  I
remember specifically arguing that there was very little chance that they'd
overtake Alta Vista.  ;^)

I guess all I'm saying is that things change fast in tech.  Google may stay
on top for years and they might not.

IF they get toppled however I'm betting that the interface, not just the
quality of results, will become a deciding factor.  Google does try a lot of
new things, but their main search has become (I think) rather stale and
uninspired.  For a tool that's so central to much of our work why are we
accepting so very little?

For example why can't I simply tell Google to never, ever bring me results
from "Experts Exchange" since I truly hate their business model?  This is a
simple black list.  Why can't I review my recent searches, and, especially
those sites I selected?  I know they track this information... why can't I
use it?

I'm not saying that I dislike Google in any way... I'm saying that I want to
see some of the innovation they bring to their other products get applied to
the core search functionality.  As it is it's getting more than a little
stagnant.

Jim Davis