http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissuesArticles.asp?id=133#FN45

The passage of the 14th Amendment, much like the 13th Amendment, was also along
partisan lines. In the House, it passed 138 to 36. Of the 134 Republicans in
the House, 128 (96%) voted to provide civil rights to former slaves; of the 36
Democrats, none (0%) voted to give civil rights to African Americans; and of
the 11 third-party representatives, 10 (91%) voted in favor of racial civil
rights.43

In the Senate, the vote was 33 to 11. Of the 32 Republican Senators, 30 (94%)
voted for the measure; of the 6 Democrats, none (0%) voted for civil rights;
and of the 6 others, 3 (50%) voted for racial civil rights.44

As the civil rights secured on the federal level began to move forward across
the nation, Democrats worked hard at the State level to regain control of the
State legislatures and halt the progress made by blacks and Republicans. To
support this effort, a Democrat constituency group was formed to fight both
blacks and Republicans. The name of this group? The Ku Klux Klan.45 In fact,
extensive hearings held by the U. S. Congress in 1868 document the role of the
KKK in working with southern Democrats to halt voting by blacks.

(As an aside, during those congressional hearings, witness Robert Flournoy
testified to a fact unknown by many today: "I am a considerable sort of a Negro
man and talk with the Negroes wherever I go. I have never met in all my
intercourse with the Negroes of Mississippi but one single Negro who professed
to be a Democrat, and that was in the town of Oxford. He was a waiter in a
hotel, and he informed me that he was a Democrat. I tried to convert him and
failed, and left him a Democrat.")46

the 15th Amendment - the final of the three post-Civil War civil rights
amendments - was passed in 1870 to guarantee to African-American males the
right to vote (the first ever expansion in federal voting rights). And just
like the two previous civil rights Amendments, the 15th also passed along
partisan lines.47