That's been the traditional military strategy. You don't attack civilian
targets, per se, to inflict casualties, but you want to drag down a nation's
moral.  In that line of thinking, it's a lot like terrorism. The difference
being, as noted earlier, you're talking about an organized military campaign
by a legitimate government, or an inducted (meaning an organized military
structure) revolutionary force, i.e., Washington's troops or the Contras,
etc.

However, for a nation with advanced weaponry, like, today, the US and
Britain, I think the moral obligation is even greater to try and avoid
civilian causalities. It's just easier to do.

In an organized military action, however, attacking civilian or pseudo
civilian targets, with the intention of bringing the war to a swifter end,
has the ethical impetus of protecting your own soldiers and your own
populace. A swifter conclusion to the war means fewer causalities for your
side. That's another distinction with the Palestinians. There intention is
not to bring the war to an end, if you can call it a war, it is to prolong
it and to provoke Israel into military action, with the hope of drawing in
other Arab states into the conflict, widening the war and, hopefully,
bringing about the total destruction of Israel.  Even when we bomb Japan or
Germany, our ultimate goal wasn't genocide or the total destruction of a
country, but, rather, it was to bring the war to an end. We rebuilt Germany
and Japan. Do you think, if by some miracle, Palestine or another Arab
nation defeated Israel, they would rebuild Israel?

H.