I was thinking about this on the way to work ... the 20th century is possibly the
bloodiest century in the history of man.  It is really a dark century.

But for most of the 20c, the deaths were caused by major wars (I and II), and
attrocities (Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot).

But what I was really thinking of when I posted this morning, as far as ongoing blood
letting, are all the petty third-world dictatorships, revolutionaries (if you can use
that term fairly for them) and other sorts of evil people in poorer nations.

I do think the more advanced nations have turned a corner in the last 20 or 30 years
about how we conduct war.  That may yet prove to be a bad thing (not being
tough/strong enough), but for now I applaud our ability to strike with precision. It
is a more humane way to fight a war.  I hope we continue to extend that technology.
Maybe some day we won't need the technology of war of any sort, but for now we do and
I hope we continue to build it and refine it and refine our notion of how to humanely
fight a war.

H.

from: "Will Swain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 17:55:23 +0100