There are a great many reasons I wouldn't vote for Obama.

Chief among them is that he is from the Chicago political machine.

He was kept clean and groomed for federal service.  He has shady
connections, but I find that most people on the left do.

He is from the far left, he will increase the size and scope of
government, he will try and take my guns away from me.

He will redistribute wealth.  I ain't rich, but I ain't starving.  He
will eventually try and raise my taxes.

He will attempt to socialize health care.

He will increase the governments involvement in what I believe are state
and local issues, such as; environmental restrictions on private
property, meddling in education, further legislation on smoking (cigs
and green) what you can eat, god this list could be endless.  When
either party controls the legislative and executive branches states and
personal rights suffer.

He will strip our military and likely surrender in Iraq, and now
possibly Afghanistan, I am hearing more and more of the people that were
formerly just against the war in Iraq now bitching about Enduring Freedom.

Now that the keg has been tapped on us meddling fully in the economy we
could see the dems try and build a whole new deal style government all
over again.

Here's the thing.  In my eyes the politics in the U.S. generally are
like a pendulum.  Swings left to right, we're currently swinging back to
the left, we're not there all the way yet, but we're getting there.
We're coming off the end of the peak of the right wing end (repubs
controlled both branches, only being fought by the judiciary which was
often liberal).  Now we have a right wing court and are going to have a
left wing government.  I don't like either extreme truth be told.
Generally when the branches of government are split there are less laws
passed.  At this point in most cases all new law does is cost the tax
payers money, and restricts freedom.  We need less law, but thats not
going to happen with either of the major entrenched parties.

I've never understood the "two party system" thing.  Where is that put
down on paper that we can only have two?  When we finally give in and
start voting for the person most likely to represent our districts and
states we might actually roll some of the garbage back and be able to
write new law that is ethical, complies with the constitution, is based
in the ideals of freedom and individualism that this nation was founded
upon.

The states and regions of the nation were supposed to be vastly
different, they sure were back then.  Commonwealths, the political
weirdness that is Louisiana, the left wing 'utopia' of California, the
strength and self reliance of Texas and Alaska, the earthy hard working
farmer from Kansas.

You know man, seriously I love this country so much.  I know it sounds
stupid but I get emotional thinking about this stuff, maybe I'm weird
some kind of fanatic or something, but the weight of our past, and the
responsibility of our future are things I feel personally.

I don't want to live in Europe or Canada.  I want to live in the United
States of America.  Where a man can start from nothing and become a
billionaire.  Or president, or a Navy SEAL or nothing at all.  Where
it's not only allowed but expected that you've seen and handled a gun,
I'd like to see us return to an expectation of civic responsibility and
service were the norm, not something someone did for recognition or
personal advancement. Where what was in your cup or your pipe were your
own business.  As was what you did with the land you own, and the
children you were raising.

I'm really almost done with the current system, I'm barely buying in any
more.  I'm sickened and disgusted by both of the candidates, I'll be
honest and admit that I do like Palin and for the same reasons that many
people like Obama, change, but in my direction.

In the end, in 5 years I might just be telecommuting from an undisclosed
mountain top in some state with good gun laws totally off the grid.

God you know, money and everything that goes with it these days is
really over rated.  I can shoot, fish, I've done some carpentry, worked
on motors from small engine through turbo diesel; cooked in incredible
restaurants.  Skinned and smoked my own meat.  Lived on reservations,
military bases, huge cities, and the most remote terrain across several
continents.  Jumped out of planes, scuba dived in the red sea, fathered
2 amazing kids, played with the dogs, got dirty with the women, drank
with the men, fought the good fight, loved, lost and lived.

Lately I don't like the way things are in towns.  I don't get along with
many people, everyone is so disconnected and abrupt and rude.
Everything is moving so fast, every issue is critical, every dime
important, and every breath next to your last.

Sorry for the book man, little mental diarrhea, hope you made it through
it ok.  Kind had a Denny moment, they can be good for the soul :)