There's a myriad of possible reasons behind a slow network.

Is the network segmented, and are the webservers on their own segment?
If I'm not mistaken the webservers should be on their own segment (or if
the company can afford it, their own IP block and pipe)
Has the traffic increased to the servers because of a recent product
rollout?
Are people downloading or streaming alot?
Is there a DOS attack occuring?
Is their a piece of failing hardware on the network (or is something not
plugged in?)