On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Judah McAuley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think that the primary matchup against Clinton is the best proof
> there. Clinton was the prohibitive favorite going into the primary
> (many would say she was the presumptive nominee). She had advantages
> in cash, name recognition and on the ground organization.
>
> The Obama campaign realized the utility of the 50-state strategy that
> Howard Dean had proposed the previous election and saw how MoveOn had
> been able to raise large amounts of money though small dollar
> donations and the Internet. So since he didn't have a lot of money to
> start off with, he concentrated on caucases, which require more
> people-intensive efforts and aren't as easy to win through ad buys.
>
> Clinton had a game plan to take advantage of her name recognition and
> money advantage and try to get nominated by Super Tuesday thus ending
> the primary early and allowing her to go after the Republicans with
> lots of time before the election. To do that, she focused on winning
> big states. Which is great...except that Democratic primaries reward
> delegates proportionally (unlike the Republicans). So Obama was able
> to win Iowa (caucus state), get name recognition and more money, then
> force Clinton to campaign in states she hadn't planned on (just like
> he did with McCain). The organizational ground game kept him
> competitive even in states he didn't win, which were enough delegates
> to keep things tight through Super Tuesday. And when Clinton didn't
> get enough delegates come Super Tuesday, Obama was able to keep at his
> plan and build while the Clinton campaign had to totally restructure
> because their first game plan failed.
>
> That was some organizational brilliance.

Sounds like an intense game of Risk :)

Thank you for the response.  That's *exactly* the kind of answer I was
looking for.  While it doesn't discount the fact that Hillary planned
poorly, it also shows very specifically where Obama planned well and was
proactive.

--
I have failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my life. I love my
wife. And I wish you my kind of success.