> Until we legalize gay marriage, I will kindly ask you to keep your
> tongue to yourself. What would the two wives think?

(*Beer affected post warning*)

Ya know, there are two thoughts that come to mind when it comes to
multiple spouses.  The first is, of course, the "Mormon" factor and
the nightmare that has come out of that.  The second is actually a
Sci-Fi series in which the heroine (one Honor Harrington) ends up
marrying an admiral *and his wife*.  Then again, after some of the
exchanges I've had in 10 years of marriage, I also question the sanity
of any man that wants to marry more than once!

I'll fully admit that I look at this issue from a religious aspect.  I
also know that when my wife and I were married, it was both a civil
contract (that would be the marriage license, which was signed by the
officiating pastor and witnessed by the best man and maid of honor)
and a religious one.  The offensive part for me isn't so much the
civil union portion being allowed to same-sex couples but rather the
fact that they want to *call it marriage*.  That's why I've been in
support of civil unions for a very long time.

Granted, I also think that if same sex couples are going to be allowed
to enter into a civil union, they should also be required to file a
divorce if they split AND go through a complete separation of
properties and potential custody battles.  In states with communal
property laws, enforce those as well.  If someone doesn't pay alimony,
put them in the delinquency program that exists for hetero couples.

I think I've said this before here (my memory ain't working so good) -
it's not the legal contract that bugs me.  I do acknowledge that the
way the legal system stands today is discriminatory towards same-sex
couples and with the exception of changing the words on the marriage
license from "Groom" and "Bride" to "Party A" and "Party B" I think
that there is a lot that can be done to correct that.

But don't tell me that my pastor (or myself potentially in the future)
are required by law to honor the request of a same-sex couple to marry
them.

Personally, I liked don't ask don't tell... but then again I also
still like cheese-whiz.  Go figure!

Hatton