> gMone wrote:
> Watching Gruss switch into partisan mode was......revealing.

Heh, well ... you are who you are.

As I've said, I'm fairly biased here.  I don't personally know Obama
but I know people that have worked with him, my wife's a U of C alum,
and we spend a LOT of time in the Chicago scene. (she was just off of
Grant park during Obama's acceptance and turn down a ticket)

The thought that a guy of his caliber is even in politics is
surprising.  For me he's one of those guys where you say "guys like
that should be in politics".  And he actually is.

But I'd say the same thing for Buffett for example.

So I'm not an Obama guy for partisan reasons: I'm not a Democrat and
have no historical love or affiliation for the party.  And I was
perfectly willing to look at other candidates.  Romney seems like the
best Republican and would've had an equal shot at my vote although he
followed McCain down the same suck-up-to-the-Christian-Nationalists
path and I couldn't reject a voter segment more.

As for McCain, he had my vote in 2000, but in 2008 he's a different
guy and I don't like the 2008 McCain.  We've seen flashes of 2000
McCain but they're fleeting.

If you're still reading, one thing I think is revealing is when people
say "I don't really KNOW him"

* Obama - people don't "know him" because he's new, he's foreign
sounding/seeming, and I think people aren't used to pa rofessor-type
guy.  Especially a law professor.   The truth is he's kind of a boring
guy.  He's smart, etc, but he's kind of a boring guy at a BBQ.  G'd
love him because they would talk sports and ESPN for hours.  Obama's a
sports freak.  Other than that he's a geeky family guy when he's not
behind the dais.  People have a hard time believing that he can give
one of those speeches and then go home, kick off his shoes, (and socks
which famously pisses off Michele), and watch ESPN.

* McCain - people don't "know him" because he's old and we/they
thought they knew him but all of sudden he's a totally different guy.
And he's kind of angry and mean sounding.  And he should be this huge
expert on everything and then he goes to Iraq and has to have
Lieberman tell him who's who (I DON'T think that was slip - it
happened too many times).  And during the economic crisis he was
completely worthless.  Really.  I haven't seen worse leadership since
Bush and here McCain should really shine because not only is he the
nominee of the party in powe (thus could get Paulson directly and
coordinate), but he was  the Chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee
for almost a decade!  If the experience argument holds water it was
here we should see it.  But we didn't.

I'm convinced McCain is a good guy and a brave guy.  But he also
strikes me as the guy you don't want to be a WIZZO for because he
seems like, for whatever reason, he'll take enormous risks with little
justification of pay-back.  And his choice of Palin seems to reveal
even further that character defect.  So good guy, but dangerous guy.