Did we try to kill the guy? With all the resources of the US, why didnt we
kill him? Are we that bad at it?

Trying to overthrow him is because he has shown through his rhetoric and
actions that he wants to do bad things (things that the US consider bad),
and are not in the US's interests (I assume), sounds like a good idea to me.

He has aligned _himself_ with people we consider terrorists. Which, in
current world politics, makes him a terrorist.

And I do believe (from the US gov standpoint) he _is_ a huge security risk
to us. Look at the visit be the Russian carriers for proof.