There are no known genetic markers for homosexuality. Homosexuality
seems likely to have some genetic components and some social
components. The genetic portion that been being investigated so far
centers around the endocrine system and fetal exposure to androgen.
The endocrine system is enormously complicated and androgen is a very
fundamental and wide-ranging hormone (one of the things that makes
males versus females for instance). The exposure of a developing fetus
to androgen at different points in development can have very different
effects.

Given all of that I don't think we can say with even a small amount of
certainty what the genetic components of various sexualities are and
are even farther from then being able to say what other effects those
factors may have that might come to play a role in natural selection.

My point in bringing this whole discussion up is that arguing about
the "utility" or "morality" of homosexuality from a
biological/evolutionary standpoint is stupid. We do know that
homosexuality exists amongst all animals that we've studied. We also
know that it is not strongly selected against (most figures cite a
prevalence of homosexuality amongst the general population of 5 to
10%). And we know that homosexuality doesn't represent a threat to the
species as a whole seeing as how we have almost 7 billion people on
the planet and our growth rates have been exponential for some time.

Michael was arguing that homosexuality would necessarily be selected
against. I showed an example of how it could continue in the
population as a favored trait even when homosexual people weren't
directly having offspring.

The justification for social structures and mores should be taken away
from scientific discussions and put in a whole nother box in almost
all instances. I was just providing examples to show why that is so.

Cheers,
Judah