On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Michael Grant [Modus I.S.]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's certainly not genetically defective. In fact homosexuality appears in
> many species, not just humans. However mother nature (for lack of a better
> term) has just made it so that it can't be (naturally) genetically passed on.
> It's the exception to the rule.

This isn't actually true. I'll point you at my other evolutionary rant
for a broader overview but here's an example.

Lets say that a single gene governs homosexuality. While obviously not
true, lets take that as an argument.

Hypothesize that homosexuality is recessive. If you have two copies of
the allele (component that makes up a gene) you are gay, if you don't
have any copies you are straight and if you have one copy you are
bisexual.

Now if you have two copies of this allele you are totally gay and are
never going to have offspring in the classic fashion. You won't even
get drunk and screw someone just to see how it is and have an accident
:)

But let us say that the homosexual allele is linked to another trait,
say efficient metabolism. People with an efficient metabolism could
get by with less food and that is an evolutionary advantage when food
supplies are tight.

In this scenario, bisexual folks (one copy of the gay allele) are
likely to have more efficient metabolisms than straight people. Not as
good maybe as gay people, but better than straight folks. So even if
there was a strong evolutionary penalty for being gay (having 2
copies), the allele would likely stick around in the bisexual folks
because the bisexual folks have better metabolisms than straight
people. And for every two bisexual people that breed, their offspring
has a 25% chance of being gay and a 50% chance of being bi. And for a
bi person and a straight person, the offspring have a 25% chance of
being bi (still having one copy of that gene).

And that's only one example of how "mother nature" can pass along
genes that you'd guess might be evolutionarily maladaptive.

In short, biology and evolution don't work the way you think they
do...and bisexual people still have the best of all worlds :)