We do some of this, he does need more exercise, although he'd rather
snuggle on the couch than run about in our huge back yard (that we
bought for him and his brother).
It's a weird situation, we have three dogs, MacGregor, a Great Pyrenees
(Pyrenean Mountain Dog) , Finnegan, the dog in question and Kayleigh, a
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (a puppy mill rescue). Of the three
MacGregor is the Alpha, but he defers to me as Alpha, I speak he does
whatever I ask him without hesitation.

Alot of what your describing is the Ceasar Milan methodology, exercise,
discipline, affection, we use the "shh" and the neck touch when
disciplining. When that doesn't work, I've been "blessed", with a very
loud commanding voice (years of vocal training.) and that usually get's
everyone's attention.

I think Finnegan needs some more work, he's come along way from the dog
he was when we got him...