> When was the last time you actually stood face to
> face with an Iraqi who remembers quite vividly what life was like during the
> Saddam era?

Admittedly never. However I don't think you need to be on the front lines to be
knowledgeable about the invasion of Iraq.

> Anyway, they don't paint a very rosy picture of life under Saddam.

And do they paint a rosy picture of the last five years?

> We get to learn first hand what life was like before we came, and what their
> life is
> like now, and what they hope their lives will be in the future. It is very
> exciting to see these transformations first hand... [to end]

I don't think anyone is suggesting that EVENTUALLY life in Iraq will be better
than it was under Saddam. However that's not the real issue. "The ends justify
the means" is no way for a Democracy to operate. Toppling a sovereign nation
(regardless of what government type they are) without U.N. approval, based on
false information and without ever declaring war on that nation would make your
founding fathers ashamed. That's the issue.

And don't kid yourself that it's altruism that's guiding the invasion. The goal
was not to spread Democracy, otherwise the U.S. would be in China, North Korea,
Iran, half of Africa, Saudi Arabia, Russia, and many dozens of other countries
around the world.

Iraq was a sovereign nation that hadn't declared war on the United States. The
United States invaded Iraq without declaring war. That's a war crime.