On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 5:37 PM, denstar  wrote:

> I get that general idea, but you seem to imply that most religions
> agree, which I don't think is quite the case, unless you're
> "enlightened",
> or perhaps only worried about the majority (I think a lot of the
> Constitution is there to protect the/a minority, sorta, neh?).

I'm not implying that, and I would note that people don't always agree with
religious doctrine. Catholics sometimes support abortion, although it is
anathema to the Catholic Church. As for protecting the minority, read
Democracy in America (vol 1) sometime, it will open your eyes. Tocqueville
believed the single greatest threat to our democratic system lay in the
"tyranny of the majority".

> So in my book it's got to be grounded in common sense, first and
> foremost.  If it fits within your religious morals as well, good on
> you.

Common sense is irrelevant in this context. What matter is 1. Is it legal
under the Constitution? and 2. Will voters support it? The former matters
because if it fails that test, judges will throw it out. The latter matters
because leaders who make unpopular decisions get tossed out of office.

Gay marriage was just discussed, wasn't it?  What are the common sense
> arguments for "against" there, for instance?

Not so much a question of common sense as morality. Large numbers of
religious people supported the ban in CA on moral grounds. I disagree with
that view, but it is legitimate and ought to be respected. Clearly the
strategy in CA now shifts back to the courts, which already ruled once in
favor of gay marriage.