> I don't agree with the bailouts either, but I am slightly more
> outraged over the concept that it is ok to assert that someone is a
> terrorist and lock him up for years on end. That could be me; it could
> be you. Once you say it is ok to do that you are relying on government
> officials to have a sense of proportion and of justice. Which your own
> example proves to not always be the case. Perhaps this guy is in fact
> a thwarted terrorist. But perhaps he is not, and what about that?

Becuase he is a naturalized citizen then he should be allowed habeus
corpus (yes, I know we disagree on issues regarding HC and detainees).

The person in question was charged with, among other things, credit
card fraud (including the possession of over 1750 credit card numbers
and their names), possession of falsified identification documents and
making false or misleading statements to a federal authority.
Additionally, he was tied to al-Queada when calls from his house were
traced to one of their financiers.  On his computer were several files
including the detailed formula for hydrogen cyanide.

The federal statue on credit card fraud carries a sentence between 10
and 15 years from what I can find on findlaw.com.  The false
statements charge carries a sentences between 5 and 8 years.
Depending on how the prosecution wanted to push the case on the
hydrogen cyanide, the sentence could be 25 years to life.  So far,
he's been held in a suite of modified prison cells for 5 years.  I
would be very interested to see how long he would last in the general
population of a federal pen.

Something to think about on this whole issue - if this were another
country, men like this would not be known, they would simply
disappear.  I know that it's not, I just want to point that out.