On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Scott Stewart <saste...@email.unc.edu> wrote:

53 years to break even if you count my share. Who do you think pays
you're offset?

> Done the math... at 75% offset with incentives and tax breaks it'll cost
> me 75k to install, save me $115 *a month*
> (that's almost $1400 a year, which is a bit more than $500) I'll save
> even more if I install a rooftop turbine.
>
> My break even is 13 years... and if I sell I can recover the entire
> amount plus some.
>

> 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid
> http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hybrid/
>
> 2010 Honda Insight
> http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2010-honda-insight.htm
>
> They're investing a lot of time and production for technology that you
> say that they're going to drop

They dropped it in 2006-7 with the insight and the accord then brought
it back when fuel costs went up.

> I guess I'm missing your point, yes it's tech that's been around for a
> while, but only in the last few years has mass consumer production
> become available.
> I've done alot of home work with residential solar power, I *HATE*
> Progress Energy, our local electric power barons, I certainly wouldn't
> cry if I contributed to them going out of business by getting off of
> their grid.

Solar panels have been available to homeowners for decades. I keep
hearing they'll be worthwhile soon, over and over again.