Joel,
We had a large internal project in house that we decided  years ago to put
out to a 3rd party (partly because I didn't have the time, and partly
because I didn't feel I had all the required skills to successfully complete
it (mostly a rewrite of a large db was standing in the way))... Anyways long
story short, they were writing it in .NET (C# and VB) and after 18 months
and NOT successfully hitting a single deadline AND still wanting more money
AND estimating another six to nine months for completion... we killed the
contract, and I am now writing it in Flex/CF.
so I have had to learn Flex, but in about six weeks I have the entire front
end done, and am just going through the processes that are required.  I
probably have another six to eight months of doing that, but it will be a
simple system that I will be able to make changes to WITHOUT outside help.
 Plus I know that if I get really stuck with anything either DB or CF
related, I can contact and contract someone from CF-Talk to help me out....

Anyways, that is my personal experience with the development time of .NET vs
CF.  I think for our organization it was going to allow us a couple of
other conveniences as well, but mostly being able to maintain in house was
the one..

Rob