The banking bailout was necessary to prevent a systemic collapse. What would
happen if you went to the ATM tomorrow to get cash and couldn't get cash?
What if no one could get cash? What if payroll services stopped issuing
paychecks because the three or four largest banks in the country were shut
down? There are so many unknowns, so many variables. I really think Paulson,
et. al. felt that the risks to the global economy were so great that they
had no choice but to put the money in. I do not want to contemplate what
things would look like right now if the biggest banks had failed.

As for strings on the money, I don't know. The government acted as an
investor, injecting capital in exchange for shares. Would a private investor
normally have one or more seats on the board in exchange for the investment?
Sure. But would you really want Congress to have seats on the boards of the
biggest banks in the country? As distasteful as it is to fork over hundreds
of billions without "guidance", I would rather have the money being managed
by bankers than Congressional staffers.