Saying that America decided to believe in itself means that America didn't
believe in itself before Obama and that has no truth to it at all. We might
not like policies of the government, we might not like its direction in some
things, but we believe in it. We support it. We don't want it to go away. We
do want it better. We believe it can be better. We've believed it before
Obama and we'll believe it after him. He does not define our belief in
America, he's just another part of it. He enhances our belief that anyone of
any race or background can become president. That belief was lagging and has
been reinfused. But that is not all of our belief in America, just a part. A
part of hope, but still just a part.

Obama's presidency is historic because he is the first black president. The
first but not the last. The first woman president will be historic as well.
once. Will he be a historic president by policy and ability? We hope and
pray (even atheists) but that'll be in the future, not today. Today he's
just the first black president.

This is still a minor turning point in American existence, but not a major
one. It is not a revolutionary or civil war, it's an election.