> RoMunn wrote:
> government? They rejected monarchy in favor of republicanism. They chose
> democracy.

That was a good post.  Here are my thoughts:

I think you might be confusing "democracy" with western forms of government.

At the end of the day don't forget that we're culturally European.
Take a look down south and see how democracy is working out for
Mexico.  I'm no expert but I'd be hard pressed to see a difference
between 2009 Tijuana and 2000 Baghdad.  Maybe in one it's government
and the other is drug dealers but at end of day do the dead care who
killed them?  The answer is, we don't know, they're dead.

Democracy in Asia seems much less successful, and unknown in the
Middle East - except Israel which is European.

The point is, the physical act of voting doesn't make anyone a western
style democracy.  I'm not sure if western democracies are even
compatible with Middle Eastern culture.  At this point, I'd say
they're not.

Look what's happening in Venezuela.  Voting is not enough to create a
western-style democracy.

And it's certainly not enough to bet trillions of dollars and 1000s of
American lives on.

Thinking that just because something works great for us that everyone
will love it is kind of arrogant.