No of course not. Personally I do not think that in terms of this behavior,
or for that matter any behavior can be attributed to any one thing.
Unfortunately, or from whatever perspective you take, fortunately, you
cannot ethically or legally conduct the kind of experiment that would be
required to conclusively prove that any one element within the equation
causes a certain behavior. For example how much of the suicide behavior can
be attributed to Accutane, do we administer two groups of depressed
middle-class teens either the Accutane or a placebo, or nothing?

The only real alternative would be to set up a quasi-experimental design,
using already existing groups who have had the appropriate assignment. That
data shows that over and above all other factors that were controlled for,
those taking Accutane showed an increased likelihood of suicide.

What I dislike about the case was that where were the kid's parents in all
of this. The teenager was depressed. Did the parents realize such? From what
I remember reading there was a lot of evidence of suicidal ideation etc that
should have sent that kid directly to professional treatment. Not up in the
air taking flying lessons.

larry

--
Larry C. Lyons