Yes, I do. Twice isn't bad for almost 240 years. Especially as those
were both in actual wars with a defined enemy and the realistic
prospect of a win or loss or treaty.

This is a "War on Terror". How the hell do you win that? You keep
harping about how Al Queda is a non-nationstate and therefore things
like the Geneva Convention don't apply. Well how do we define winning
then? Losing? Who do we sign a peace agreement with? What are the
circumstances when we'll be able to roll back the Patriot Act? When we
kill Bin Laden?

World War II was 4 years long (for the U.S.) Internment spanned less
than 3 years. The Civil War was 4 years long and literally tore the
country apart. We face no such threat to our country yet how long have
we had it suspended now?

Roosevelt was wrong to inter the Japanese-Americans during WWII. At
least at the time though he could say that he'd release them when we
defeated the Japanese. Bush was never able to say what it would take
to close down Guantanamo. He moved us into a state of permanent war
with no boundaries and used it as an excuse to undermine our most
basic rights. That is unconscionable and unprecedented.

Judah