Been having a rough few months at work - putting in 60 hours a week minimum
and last week I was on call so I ended up with over 80.  Problems that won't
go away, others that are completely inscrutable - basically just a huge
amount of work with no end in sight.

Then our universal remote went (a Logitech Harmony 880).  I love the thing
but they want $80 to repair it and I don't have it right now.  So I took
shot that the IR emitters were blown, bought two new ones from Radio Shack
(two dollars each) and borrowed a soldering iron and swapped them out.

Took 20 minutes and now the damn thing not only works but works from at
least twice the distance as before.

Damn it felt good.  Not only to save some money (or give it to them and wait
three weeks in the bargain) but to deal with a nice, direct, solvable
problem.

Jim Davis