read tipping point dana.  those little things make a difference.
ask sam and ask him about new york city, and the broken windows
and how fixing them up started to slow crime down.  then ask him
about the fair beaters at the turnstyles in the subways... things were
VERY bad down there, they began to crack down on the fair beaters
and things changed.  there were major problems in parts of NYC
within specific areas.  they cleaned up the graffiti and the broken
windows and things got better.  little things make a big difference.

oh, and what would happen to the eventually jailed kids?  who knows
and im sorry, but, let the system handle them, that will all shake out.
idiot mothers on welfare would stop doing drugs and stop making
illegitimate kids and things would eventually tip the other way.