This dude predicted the crisis 5 years ago and here's what he had to
say a few days ago:
----------

"I believe that stocks are undervalued, but not extremely so. Passive,
long-term investors in the S&P 500 can reasonably expect average total
returns moderately higher than 10% annually over the next say, 7-10
years ...

The misguided policy response from Washington has focused almost
exclusively on squandering public money and burdening our children
with indebtedness in order to defend the bondholders of mismanaged
financial institutions (blame Paulson and Geithner – I've got a lot of
respect for our President, but he's been sold a load of garbage by
banking insiders) ...

Simply letting an institution unravel is quite different from taking
receivership, protecting the customers, keeping the institution
intact, replacing management, properly taking the losses out of
stockholder and bondholder capital, and issuing it back into private
ownership at a later date.

... Nobody is advocating an uncontrolled unraveling of major financial
institutions or permanent nationalization as if we've suddenly become
Venezuela.

Make no mistake. Buying up “troubled assets” will not materially ease
this crisis, nor will it even improve the capital position of
financial institutions. Homeowners will continue to default because
their payment obligations have not been restructured to any meaningful
extent. We are simply protecting the bondholders of mismanaged
financial institutions, even though that bondholder capital is more
than sufficient to cover the losses without harm to customers.

The course of defending the bondholders of insolvent institutions is
not sustainable. Do the math. The collateral behind private market
debt is being marked down by easily 20-30%. That debt represents about
3.5 times GDP. That implies collateral losses on the order of 70-100%
of GDP, which itself is $14 trillion....

Unless Congress is actually willing to commit that amount of public
funds to defend the bondholders of mismanaged financials so they can
avoid any loss, this crisis simply cannot be addressed through
bailouts. Bondholders have to take losses. Debt has to be restructured
(and can be restructured in ways that largely preserve the present
value of the obligations).

There is no other option [than nationalization] – but the markets are
going to suffer interminably until our leaders figure that