Good analysis. He' basically saying that the "too big to fail" argument is
bogus, as long as the government is equipped and prepared to take over such
big corporations in receivership. It's a sort of perverse irony that, in
allowing corporations to become really big, we have to prepare government to
take them into receivership in case they fail. An economist friend of mine
in LA has been saying that from the get go- let the banks fail and see where
the chips fall. But that only works if the government can handle the
potential chaos that will ensue.

When I think of regulation, then, I see an organization in the government
that has the ability to take management control of even very large
institutions if it becomes necessary. Under normal conditions, these people
will spend a lot of time on game theory and contingency planning and
exercises. During emergencies, they will spring into action like
firefighters and prevent chaos among the public, which we must admit becomes
a real threat when companies that touch tens of millions of people's lives
fail. The government handles this kind of task for small companies everyday.
But would it be prepared to handle the overnight bankruptcy of 4-5 top
banks? Probably not right now.