>And these people in America are, ironically and sadly, a big part of the
>reason why the entire world is facing the crisis it is.

Really? I thought that the present crisis was created by those who strongly
advocated getting rid of Social Security, or at the very least moving it
towards a privatized basis - given the recent tanking of the market can you
imagine what that would have done to the basic retirement system?

Please specifically list how covering a portion of a 60 year old disabled man's
medical care has destroyed the financial system. Or helping 4 mentally
handicapped adults live independent lives has put the financial system at work?

Now lets compare that to the complex mortgage based securities system and how
that has taken down some of the larger financial companies, and potentially the
economy.

so what is worse, the corporate welfare system that has existed for the last 10
years or so or the personal welfare system that's existed for the last 70 or so
years.

In your comparison here, look at the number of people that have been lifted
from poverty, survived beyond childhood or who have owned their own homes. Lets
also consider which system has allowed small groups to get extremely wealthy
over the backs of the rest of the country.