Two things:

1) The VM solution doesn't matter - the licensing doesn't change.
VMWare/VPC/Whatever - it's the licensing of the OS, not the platform you're
running it on that counts.

If you're looking for auditability you might want to check out the MS
"Action Pack" - it costs a few hundred dollars a year, but you get multiple
licenses for nearly all MS software (including OSes).  It's designed to
allow system integrators and partners to cheaply demo and test MS software
but is available to the public at large.

2) That link I gave are freely, fully licensed Windows images for testing
browser compatibility.  They're kind of a pain (since they expire) but MS
refreshes them well in advance so you really just have to get used to
downloading a gig or three every few months.

Jim Davis